A huge thank you to Emily at A Writer’s Beginning for nominating me for this award! I don’t know if I have ever been nominated for one of these so I am incredibly grateful for this!
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
The Sunshine Blogger Award is an award for bloggers who are creative, positive, and inspiring – people who spread “sunshine” to the blogging world!
- Thank the person who nominated you.
- Answer the 11 questions set by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo on your post and/or on your blog.
1. Do you have a favourite word? If so, what is it?
I really like this question but I have no clue what word to pick!
2. Have you ever read a book, cover to cover, in one day?
Not counting graphic novels, it has been quite some time since I read a whole book in one day. The last book that I remember reading in one day I think I actually read in one sitting and that was Angelfall by Susan Ee which I read several years before I even started this blog! I remember staying up for “just one more chapter” very late into the night which I really just don’t do anymore.
3. Do you believe in judging a book by its cover?
To an extent.
The cover of a book should give potential readers a lightning quick impression of that book to entice readers in. So the color scheme, stances of characters, backgrounds, etc. all should reflect what is inside the cover.
Sitting next to dozens and dozens of other books, a cover needs to pop! in order to be noticed. If effort wasn’t put into making that cover stand out, it will kind of give me the impression that the same amount of effort wasn’t put into the book. Which I know is totally unfair because very frequently authors have no control over what cover art is chosen for their book! But still. A lazy cover that looks almost like a stock photo will not entice me.
4. Do you have a favourite book? (It’s a big question, I know.)
Oh my…. I am positive that I am not alone in being completely unable to choose a 100% absolute favorite book of all time. There are just so many that I love and that have meant a lot to me over the years and it is always shifting. But as of writing this, the first book that pops into my head when I think “favorite book” is Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft.
Nope, I’m still not shutting up about that book. I love it that much.
5. Do you believe that aspiring writers should read as much as they can?
Not being an aspiring writer myself, this is a difficult question for me to answer. I think it will vary between writers. I could absolutely see how reading the work of other writers would help inspire or help create a style. On the other hand, I could also see how the voices of other writers could muddle the style of a writer who is getting started and maybe trying to find their own voice.
6. What time of day do you do the most of your blogging?
Usually in the afternoon/evening. During the week, I typically have the most going on outside the house in the morning so evenings are quieter for me.
7. Is there one particular blog post that you’re really proud of? (Share a link to it – I’d love to read it if I haven’t already!)
So we actually are not just a blog here but also a podcast! Last October we starting having some authors as guests to come and chat with us about their books and honestly being able to interview some of these authors whose work I have fallen in love with is what gives me the biggest sense of accomplishment thus far. Most recently we interviewed Rebecca Kuang (The Poppy War) and before that it was Nicholas Eames (Kings of the Wyld). Every episode that we have an author guest though just gives me an incredible amount of satisfaction in my work here.
8. What is one thing that you have learnt since starting your blog?
How to identify books that I will not like and ignore the hype around them so I don’t get sucked in. It is a challenge! When books get super hyped, I automatically want to read them but I have learned how to slow down and learn more about that book to decide if it is actually something that appeals to me.
9. Do you keep to any kind of a blogging schedule?
Yes. Every Monday is a podcast review and a blog review over the same book. Tuesday is Top Ten Tuesday (when I participate) and I try to have another post by Thursday to keep the posts somewhat balanced throughout the week. I rarely do any more than 3 posts per week though.
10. If you could send a message to your past self, what would you say?
I would probably tell myself to slow down and not be in such a hurry to be a grown up. Take time to figure out what your values are in life and what you want out of it.
11. Do you have any regrets that you want to share?
I used to have some pretty big regrets related to the above message to myself but as the years have gone by I have been able to kind of accept the consequences of some of my mistakes a little bit better and realize that I would not be where I am today without them. The only one I would say that I still have is that I have not yet finished college and I wish I had gone after high school and before I had a family.
Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- Acquadimore Books
- Confessions of a YA Reader
- Going Through Books
- Howling Libraries
- Mogsy @ Bibliosanctum
- Books & Co.
- Dust off Your MacHalo
- Perfectly Tolerable
- Nerd Narration
- Do you collect book-ish items?
- Where is your favorite place to read?
- Are there any songs that you associate with a particular story or characters?
- Is there a book/series that you used to love but as years have gone by found that you don’t enjoy it anymore?
- Same question but in reverse! Are there any books that you used to hate but now find that you really enjoy?
- Do you review books that you didn’t enjoy? Why or why not?
- What is a trope (any genre) that you absolutely love to read about?
- What do you look for in a book villain?
- What book are you most looking forward to its release?
- Do you read self-published books? If so, who is your favorite self-pub author?
- What made you start blogging?
Of course if you would rather not participate there is no obligation whatsoever!