Stolen from Meltotheany because she seems to find the best book tags and so has become my prime resource for fun ones to participate in.
Despite being named after the Grinch, this is not so much about Christmas but more about things that other people may enjoy in books but that you can’t really stand. For some reason, it is really therapeutic to be able to rant about these things so here we go!
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill.
I’m gonna have to go with The Magicians by Lev Grossman. I really enjoyed the first book. I know a lot of people couldn’t get past how annoying Quentin Coldwater is but I found him strangely relatable and that kind of carried the story for me. Then in the second book, Quentin’s situation had changed so much that his problems were no longer relatable in any way. I have not read the third book in the series because I was so annoyed by The Magician King.
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away.
Throne of Glass by SJM. I can’t stand this series. At all. Thousands and thousands of people disagree with me though so inevitably the newest book clogs up news feeds about once a year.
3.Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
Man, this is oddly a weird one. You know what, I’m going to go with Harry Dresden from The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. I enjoy this series and am almost done with the last book but there is kind of a running theme of every decision that Harry makes has consequences that effect other people.
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for,
I can’t think of any times another person has spoiled something for me but I do have a tendency to be curious about the page count in a book so I go to look at how many pages there are and end up seeing something on that last page that is a big spoiler. This has happened with the book I am currently reading, Skin Game by Jim Butcher, and it happened with Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff.
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with.
My first instinct was Jazz Bashara from Artemis by Andy Weir. But I feel like that is kind of a hot topic right now so I’m going to also go with Corban from The Faithful and the Fallen series by John Gwynne. He was just too perfect!
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand.
I actually can’t think of any that I truly can’t stand but there are some that I just didn’t connect with very well. Percy and Annabeth from the Percy Jackson series being chief among them. I like both characters individually but their romance together feels forced.
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : show some books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of.
Acacia by David Anthony Durham. I have had this book for probably about 5 years and always resist unhauling it but still have not read it. Maybe one day? …Probably not.
8. Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths).
To stay away from spoilers, I’m just gonna say… Waking Gods by Sylvain Neuvel.
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long.
Look, can we just be done with Anita Blake and her harem of drama, yet?
Anita Blake by Laurel K. Hamilton
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villains again!).
I thought about recycling some characters from above mentioned series or books but I managed to think of another one: Saetan from The Black Jewels trilogy. Outside of a spoof or other comedy-based genre, there should be zero reason to have a scene where the literal Lord of Hell cuddles puppies. Also….I hate his face.
That’s it! It is almost the end of the year where we will be going dark for a little bit as we enjoy our holidays. There will be a few posts next week and then mostly I will be living on Twitter as I am out of town for a few weeks.